Monday, January 25, 2010

Hello 2nd Trimester! I love you already...

Everyone says the 2nd trimester is the best trimester, the time when nausea and fatigue fade and you begin to regain your appetite and energy. Let's just say, I have definitely been looking forward to the 2nd trimester!

Let me start by saying, I had a pretty rough 1st trimester. I definitely learned the full meaning of the words "morning" sickness and felt a kind of tired that I have never felt before. The day before we found out that I was pregnant, I started feeling sick. Very sick, and continued to feel very sick for approximately the next 7-8 weeks. I couldn't hold much down, had an extremely overly-sensitive sense of smell and horrible food aversions. The worst part of being extremely sick during early pregnancy is...no one can tell you're pregnant! They just think you're crazy when you suddenly leave your cart in the middle of the isle at Wal-Mart to take off in a sprint to the bathroom. Or, they stare at you in disgust when you have to suddenly pull over the car to gag into a plastic sack (yes, I was in the habit of always having a plastic sack within reach...just in case). There were so many times I wanted to shout, "I'm not crazy or contagious! I'm just pregnant!"

David has been such a trooper the last several weeks! He went grocery shopping each week so I wouldn't have to experience the unbearable stench of chicken that permeated every inch of Wal-Mart, he humored me and ate fast food for dinner several nights in a row when all I could keep down was Sonic french fries, and he kept our house (for the most part) presentable when I couldn't drag myself off the couch to clean it.

The first weeks were definitely rough, but at the same time they were also wonderful. I have never been so happy to throw up. Every time I was sick I knew it meant that Baby H was growing and changing, and that was all I needed to make it through the day.

Now that I am feeling good and have more energy, I am looking forward to the upcoming changes that the 2nd trimester brings. I am looking forward to gaining weight, hearing the heartbeat and finding out the gender. I am looking forward to planning for Baby H's arrival, decorating the nursery and seeing my body change as our baby grows. I can't believe we are already one-third of the way through this pregnancy. Even though the first months were sometimes difficult, they still seemed to go by so quickly. I know that July will be here before we know it. There is much to be done and much to be figured out in the next few months. Keep your fingers crossed for us as we prepare!

P.S. We get to hear the heartbeat at our appointment next week. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment